MarElla Honey Bees - beekeeping supplies, honey... and much more

History of the honey bee in the U.S. by Debbie Delaney
The Honey Bee - Amazing Facts and Feats
Honey History
powered by

My Blog

Honey History

Honey is as old as written history

Honey is an organic, natural sugar alternative with no additives that is easy on the stomach, adapts to all cooking processes, and has an indefinite shelf-life.

Honey history
Honey is as old as written history, dating back to 2100 B.C. where it was mentioned in Sumerian and Babylonian cuneiform writings, the Hittite code, and the sacred writings of India and Egypt. It is presumably even older than that.

Its name comes from the English hunig, and it was the first and most widespread sweetener used by man. Legend has it that Cupid dipped his love arrows in honey before aiming at unsuspecting lovers.

In the Old Testament of the Bible, Israel was often referred to as "the land of milk and honey." Mead, an alcoholic drink made from honey was called "nectar of the gods," high praise indeed.

Honey was valued highly and often used as a form of currency, tribute, or offering. In the 11th century A.D., German peasants paid their feudal lords in honey and beeswax.

Although experts argue whether the honeybee is native to the Americas, conquering Spaniards in 1600 A.D. found native Mexicans and Central Americans had already developed beekeeping methods to produce honey.

In days of old, honey has been used not only in food and beverages, but also to make cement, in furniture polishes and varnishes, and for medicinal purposes.

And, of course, bees perform the vital service of pollinating fruits, legumes, vegetables and other types of food-producing plants in the course of their business of honey production.

Honey trivia

• Honeybees must tap over two million flowers to make one pound of honey, flying a distance equal to more than three times around the world.
• The average worker bee will make only one-twelfth of a teaspoon of honey during its lifetime.
• The famous Scottish liqueur Drambuie is made with honey.

9 Comments to Honey History :

Comments RSS
termite treatment long island on Wednesday, May 08, 2013 3:15 AM
Really helpful tips it is! thanks for posting this website.
Reply to comment

bustier on Monday, June 17, 2013 8:14 PM
I like this article, written in very good, praise! Thanks!
Reply to comment

pest removal on Monday, September 16, 2013 4:55 AM
I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing ability has inspired me.
Reply to comment

term paper on Monday, October 21, 2013 1:30 AM
Honey can be stored for a long time and like wine, it tastes even better that way.
Reply to comment

honey ingredient on Monday, March 03, 2014 4:00 AM
Splendid post.Such giant information you mentioned here, thanks for your distributing and waiting to glimpse your future mails.This time, we got the following honey ingredient crossword puzzle clue.Honey as associate degree ingredient.Honey is each a classic and a modern ingredient. It will be used as a natural substitute for sugar in most recipes however because it is sweeter.
Reply to comment

circleoflifeinc on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 1:00 PM
I have checked this post and I thought it was good, but the last few posts are great quality so I guess I’ll add you back to my everyday blog list. You deserve it my friend.
Reply to comment

London dating locations on Wednesday, October 19, 2016 1:08 PM
Great history of honey! I didn't know much better about the story of honey, finally I have just read out the full story through this writing. Thank you so much for letting us know about honey.
Reply to comment